Monday, October 1, 2007

???

As a class we decided that humans are rational beings. We need reasons and logic to gain an understanding of the world around us. We also decided that the gods of the ancient Greeks are subject to the same rationality. If this is true than I am still confused as to what separates humans from gods. If gods are subject to the same rationality than how are they immortal? How do they have such powers? What makes them better than humans? How can humans and gods ever be grouped within the same category? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being a god? Humans are supposed to be subservient to the gods, so how can we share qualities? This evens the playing field.

I can't seems to grasp this concept. I understand what Nathan said in class about the gods having other powers and attributes, but the logic didn't make sense to me. To me, rationality has proven that humans are not immortal. So why are gods, who are subject to the same rationality, immortal? Examples like this just don't make sense to me.

I feel like I am missing something important from our discussion today, so if someone could explain it to me I would really appreciate it.

No comments: